- Download OSM2GarminTopo. This is a zip package that i have packed with mkgmap, srtm2osm and my custom batch script to automate the creation of the topographic map layer.
- Extract the content of the zip file out.
- Goto http://touren.mospace.de/kachel.html, select an area using one of the techniques described there, tick the "Elevation contours" checkbox, and hit submit.
- You will get a list of download links for *.img.gz files and a list of srtm2osm command lines at the bottom part that looks something like this:
srtm2osm -bounds1 47 8 48 9 -o 53273978.osm
srtm2osm -bounds1 48 8 49 9 -o 53273979.osm
- Open my custom batch script (BuildTopo.bat) with notepad or any plain text editor.
- Copy the list of the srtm2osm command lines from the webpage and paste it into my custom batch script (BuildTopo.bat). Paste it under these lines:
rem paste the list of srtm2osm commands under the line below
rem add % at the from and back of srtm2osm for every line
rem example %srtm2osm% -bounds1 4 99 5 100 -o 53290315.osm
- Add "%" sign at the front and back of the "srtm2osm" for every line.
- Add a map description of your topographic map to the line:
- Save the batch file and close your text editor.
- Open a command line window and cd to the OSM2GarminTopo folder.
- Type BuildTopo.bat and hit enter to start the creation of the topographic map.
- Rename the generated gmapsupp.img map to any name that is meaningful to you.
- Transfer the IMG file into your Garmin eTrex 20 device.
References or Credits: